The yummilicious Pav bhaji recipe!!
Lately I have been missing street food a lot! The spice, the tangy flavor, the charismatic aroma – yummmmm…all of that!! I remember how me and my brothers used to get super excited when mom would take us to Pav Bhaji wala in the evening! ❤ So today I am thinking of cooking one of the most popular Indian street food, Pav Bhaji! Pav bhaji is also served at restaurants throughout the country and abroad as well. It is made with potatoes and varieties of veggies cooked in butter, and served with pan roasted pav or dinner rolls.
Lets start cooking now!!
Cuisine: Indian Course: snacks/street food Preparation time : 15 mins Cooking time: 40 mins Serving: 3-4
INGREDIENTS AND INITIAL PREPARATION :- Below are the required quantities for each ingredient for 4-5 servings:
For The Bhaji :
Potatoes- 3-4 boiled , peeled and mashed
Butter-4 tbsp or 50 gm
Onions-1½ cup finely chopped
Ginger garlic paste-½ tsp
Capsicum-½ cup chopped
Tomatoes-1 cups finely chopped
Beans-½ cup chopped
Carrot-½ cup chopped
Green peas-½ cup
Green chilly- 1-2
Pav bhaji masala-2-3 tbsp
Kashmiri red chilli powder-2 tbsp
Turmeric powder- 1.5 tsp
Lemon -½ or 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
For The Pav :
8 ladi pav or dinner rolls
Butter to toast
RECIPE IN A NUTSHELL:-
Pour a spoon of butter and oil in a heavy bottom pan set at medium flame. Add onion, ginger garlic paste and other chopped veggies. Keep stirring veggies occasionally to prevent the mixture from sticking for 10-15 mins. Lightly mash the veggies and add boiled mashed potatoes. Mix all ingredients well. Add turmeric, salt, pavbhaji masala, kashmiri red chilly powder, amchur powder in it. Stir & let them cook for 20 mins. Lastly, add lemon & water to make mixture a thick paste. Cook them for 20 mins and keep mashing. ((if you want to add more pav bhaji masala, then add at this stage) You could use hand blender or potato masher to make bhaji into a chunky paste. Turn off the gas and garnish bhaji with chopped cilantro and butter. Serve it warm with pav.
STEP BY STEP RECIPE WITH PHOTOS:
1. Pour a spoon of butter and oil in a pan at medium flame. Add chopped onion, stir for 5 mins and then add ginger garlic paste.
2. Add carrot, green chilly, capsicum, beans, green peas and tomatoes. Mix well & cook for 10-15 mins on medium flame. Stir occasionally.
4. Lightly mash the veggies with a potato masher or a big spoon and then add boiled mashed potatoes. Mix all ingredients well.
5. Add turmeric, salt, pavbhaji masala, red chilly powder. Stir & let it cook for 20 mins.
6. Lastly, add lemon & water to the mixture to make a paste. Cook for 20 mins. Lightly mash such that the veggies break into small chunks. You could also use hand blender to mash.
6. Garnish bhaji with chopped cilantro, onion and butter. Bhaji is ready!
7. For pav or dinner rolls, slice the pav in two halves and toast with butter on medium flame.
Serving Pav Bhaji:-
Sharing is caring :
- Pav bhaji masala is a spice blend, which is readily available under different brand names at most grocery stores or any Indian store (if you are abroad).
- Dinner rolls are also available in any store. If you can’t find them, use Hawaiian rolls.
- Use fresh ginger, garlic, lemon and tomatoes. Avoid using preserved ones.
- I suggest to cook bhaji in butter to enjoy the original taste of Mumbai bhaji. And toast the pav in ample amount of butter and serve immediately.
RECIPE IN ONE PIC: