A refreshing summer dessert!!
Fruit custard is a milk based dessert loaded with assorted fruits. This is a super easy recipe with limited ingredients. It is very often made by my mom in summer season and all of us love it. So I thought to put it here so that you can also enjoy this simple yet incredible dessert. Sometimes I also make it whenever I have a lot of fruits at home and we find it hard to finish them. And lastly it is surely a special treat for friends & family!
So let’s do it.. 🙂
Cuisine: Indian Course: dessert Preparation time : 5 mins Cooking time: 20 mins Chill time: 1-2 hr Serving: 3-4
INGREDIENTS AND INITIAL PREPARATION:
- 500 ml- Whole milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar or adjust to taste
- 3 tablespoons custard powder (I use vanilla Custard Powder)
- 3 cups assorted fruits (Diced apple, mango, blueberry, papaya, grapes-halved cut,)
RECIPE WITH PICTURE :
- Heat milk in a sauce pan or non-stick kadhai at medium flame.
2. Stir occasionally and get the milk to boil.
3. Step 1 & 2 will take 12-15 mins. Meanwhile, take 2 tbsp of custard powder in a bowl. Add 3-4 tbsp milk (room temperature or cold). Mix well. There should be no lumps. Set it aside.
4. Once the milk is boiled, set the flame on low/simmer and add 2 tbsp sugar. Then pour the custard mixture into it. (prepared in step 3). Stir continuously, making sure there are no lumps formed in it.
5. Cook the mixture until it starts to thicken (6-8 mins), keep stirring to avoid lumps & sticking. You may adjust the consistency by cooking for long time. I prefer the medium consistency.
6. Turn off the flame and transfer mixture to a large bowl and let it cool completely. Add assorted fruits in the custard. You may choose any sweet fruits of your choice or availability.
8. And place the fruity custard in the refrigerator for atleast 1 hour.
9. After 1 hour, fruit custard is ready to serve.
Sharing is Caring:-
- Do not add custard powder directly to hot milk, instead mix it with milk at room temperature till it is completely dissolved. Use a whisk for best results.
- Avoid fruits that have citrus content such as oranges, sweet lime (mosambi). Also, avoid watermelon because it will release water and pineapple as it can curdle the milk.
- Once you have added the custard powder + milk mixture and sugar to the hot milk, don’t forget to continuously stir as the custard can burn easily.
- Top it with ice-cream for a delicious twist. (Optional)
- Is custard too thick? Add a few tablespoons of cold milk at a time and mix well. Repeat this till the custard is the consistency you desire.
- Is custard too thin? If the custard is too runny, add a tablespoon of custard powder and mix it with about 2 tablespoons of milk. Add this mixture to the hot custard sauce. Mix well. The consistency should thicken.
- Custard burnt at the bottom? Stop stirring immediately. Carefully pour out the unburnt portions of the custard into a different bowl/saucepan.