Hey guys! Have you ever cooked Falafel? The answer is most likely you haven’t, but don’t worry, neither have I…..until today! And it was so much easier than I thought and to my surprise it turned out to be super delectable as well. As we all know Eid celebrations are going on all over the world and people are enjoying all kinds of delicious food, I thought of trying and sharing this super popular middle eastern appetizer for the week-long celebrations. Eid is celebrated with great excitement everywhere including Asia. People decorate their homes and prepare scrumptious meals for their family and friends. Eid festivities may vary culturally depending upon the region, but one common thread in the celebration is generosity and hospitality. Extend your hospitality to your guests by cooking Falafel which is one of the must have appetizers during Eid al-Fitr.
Falafel is essentially a deep-fried ball, or a patty, made from chickpeas and a few more ingredients. This popular middle eastern street food is served in a pita bread, or wrapped in a flatbread, or simply with salad drizzled with hot sauce.
Among all different forms of serving, one very popular way is to eat it as a snack along with hummus dip. (hummus recipe will be shared in the next post)
Health perk: It is a great source of protein who have cut meat out of their diet.
Cuisine: Mediterranean Course: Snacks Preparation time : 4-5 hrs Cooking time:15 min Serving: 3-4
INGREDIENTS AND INITIAL PREPARATION FOR 3-4 SERVINGS:-
This recipe is flavored with a good amount of cilantro and parsley. Below are the required quantities for each ingredient:-
Chickpeas: 1 cup or 250 gm (soaked for 4-5 hours or overnight)
Garlic cloves: 4 -5
Cilantro & parsley: 2 cup
Red chilly powder: 1½ tsp
Onion: 1 small
Coriander powder : 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder : 2 teaspoon
All purpose flour (maida) or breadcrumbs: 2 tbsp
Salt: 1 ½ tsp or according to taste
Baking soda: ½ tsp
Tahini (sesame paste): 2 tbsp (if you don’t have paste, use sesame seed)
Olive oil: 1 tbsp
RECIPE IN A NUTSHELL :-
Place all above ingredients in a food processor and blend it to a coarse mixture. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Then begin adding flour, until the paste become dry enough to form patties and not stick to your hands. Take a small portion from mixture, shape it like a ball or patty, you can apply some flour dust on your palm while making it. Cover the falafel patties and refrigerate for at least 15 mins to let the flavors blend. Take out from refrigerator and deep fry all on a medium to little high flame till golden brown in color. (Flip it only when the other side of patty becomes crispy and golden in color). Place it out on absorbent kitchen paper to remove the excess oil. Arrange decoratively it in a plate and serve it with hummus dip or any hot sauce.
STEP BY STEP RECIPE WITH PHOTOS :-
1. Soak Chickpeas for 4-5 hours or overnight. Rinse and drain water from soaked chickpeas. Add the chickpeas to a food processor along with parsley, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, tahini, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilly powder, coriander leaves, onion, baking soda, lemon, all purpose flour and salt.
2. Coarsely grind them so that you could make the falafel in shape (don’t grind it to creamy). Mixture for falafel is ready. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Add some flour or breadcrumps if mixture is not dry to form falafel patties.
3. Make patties round or flatten in shape from all the mixture and refrigerate it for 10-15 mins before frying. It helps in binding the falafel balls, they do not crumble while frying. Then rest it for another 10 mins at normal temperature before frying.
4. Meanwhile Take a kadai or pan, put oil for deep frying. On a medium to little high flame, dip these falafel and fry them till golden brown (Flip it only when the other side becomes crispy and golden in color).
5. Take out the all falafel on paper towels to remove the excess oil.
6. Arrange decoratively it in a plate and serve it with hummus. Tyb almadhaq falafel is here!
Sharing is caring:-
- You can also use canned chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans.
- This recipe is flavored with a good amount of cilantro and parsley.
- Apply some flour on your palm while making the patties.
- Cover and place the falafel in refrigerator before frying for 15 mins.
- Cautiously fry the falafel till it becomes golden brown in texture.
- If you want shallow fry, add enough oil to a skillet to completely cover the bottom. Heat over medium until the oil is hot. Add falafel and cook on each side until brown and crispy. You could also bake it in an oven but the traditional taste will come by deep frying.
- If you’d like to freeze your falafel, make flatten patties from the mixture and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment, then place them in the freezer. Once they freeze and solidify, transfer them to a zip lock bag for long term storage (6 months).
- Below is a one picture recipe:
Have a beautiful on-going eid celebration 🙂