Ghugni, its not just another snack..it’s an emotion! It is one of those snacks which can be made with a very few ingredients like green peas, potatoes and some seasoning. In India, people usually make it in winters because of the huge availability of fresh green peas in the market. However you may substitute the fresh green peas with the frozen ones if the former is not available or if you simply do not have enough time to grade and sort the fresh peas. I mostly use frozen green peas when I am in rush or if I can’t wait much to eat it, which happens all the time :P. Best way to enjoy the ghugni is with a cup of hot tea!
The secret of ghugni lies in it’s limited ingredients, the fact that it’s easy to make and pack, and it’s fresh flavor. With that said, let’s start cooking and get it ready for today’s evening. WOO-HOO!!
Cuisine: Indian Course: snacks/Breakfast Preparation time : 5 min Cook time:10-14 min
Health Perk: Green peas and potatoes are very low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium. It is also a good source of protein & dietary fiber. Green peas contain a decent amount of heart-healthy minerals, such as magnesium, potassium and calcium.
INGREDIENTS FOR 3-4 SERVINGS:-
Below are the required quantities for all the ingredients for 3-4 servings:
- 1 tsp Oil
- 3-4 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 2-3 green chillies (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 medium size potatoes or 300 gm potatoes – cut in cubes
- 2 cup -450-500 gm green peas
- Salt to taste
RECIPE IN A NUTSHELL WITH INITIAL PREPARATION:
Heat 2 tsp of ghee or oil in any pan or kadai over medium flame, add chopped garlic, green chilly and cumin seeds. Saute for 2 mins or until the garlic becomes light brown in color. Add potatoes, green peas and a spoon of salt. Mix well and cover the pan with a lid. From this point, it usually takes 10 mins to cook. Turn off the flame when the potatoes look cooked or after 10 mins, whichever is earlier (key is to not to overcook the potatoes). That’s it! Your weekend ghugni is ready. Serve hot with a cappuccino or tea!
TIP: If you feel it needs more salt, you may add at the end and stir for another 2 mins.
STEP BY STEP RECIPE WITH PHOTOS :-
- Put a heavy bottom pan on medium flame, pour 2-3 spoon of oil – let it heat. Add chopped garlic, green chillies and cumin seeds. Saute them for 2 mins or until garlic becomes light brown in color.
- Add potatoes, peas and a spoon of salt to the pan. Mix all ingredients well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook for 10 mins. Stir occasionally. Turn off the flame once it looks cooked or after 10 mins, whichever is earlier. Taste it and if you feel it needs more salt, you may add at this stage, stir for another 2 mins.
Garma Garam Ghugni is ready. Serve hot with a cup of tea 🙂
Sharing is caring :-
- Don’t over cook the potatoes.
- Stir ocassionally to prevent the mixture from sticking at the bottom.
- You may check whether the Ghugni is cooked or not by breaking the potatoes usin a spoon or knife as shown in the picture#5 below. Too soft is no good!
- If you are using frozen peas, put them in a bowl of water and microwave for 50 seconds before using them. Wash & drain nicely.