Farey Farey Farey! Whenever there is a talk on my favorite food, farey comes first on my list of liking. The combination of farey with green chutney tastes incredible. They are steamed and healthy snack made by lentils covered with rice dough.
Its a specialty of northern states of U.P. & Punjab and is especially made on the occasion of Karwachauth. It is mostly cooked and liked during winters. Different cultures have different variations in ingredients and methods. That said, this is my own version of farey :). Detailed procedure and ingredients required for this recipe are discussed below.
Cuisine: Indian Course: snacks Preparation time : 4 hrs Cooking time: 15 min Serving: 3-4
INGREDIENTS AND INITIAL PREPARATION FOR 3-4 SERVINGS
Urad daal: ½ cup (soaked for 3 hours). (split black gram)
Chana daal: 1/2 cup (soaked for 3 hours). (split chick peas)
Green chillies: 4
Ginger: ½ inch
Garlic: 4 – 5 clove
Cumin seed: 1 teaspoon
Coriander leaves: 3 – 4 strands
Salt: to taste
Hing or asafoetida : ½ teaspoon
Cumin powder : ½ teaspoon
Rice flour: 400 gm
Milk : as required (you may use water instead)
Salt : 1/4 teaspoon
Curry leaves: 10 – 1
Green chillies: 1 – 2
Rai (mustard) seeds: ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder: 1/4 teaspoon
Oil or ghee or butter : 1 – 2 tablespoons
RECIPE IN A NUTSHELL:
Prepare stuffing: Soak urad daal and chana daal for 3 hours. Drain water from soaked daals and coarsely grind them with ginger, garlic, green chillies, cumin seed, cumin powder, coriander leaves, hing and salt to taste.
Prepare rice dough: Knead soft dough of rice flour by adding milk or water and little salt. Rest the dough for 20 mins.
Cook farey: Take a small portion from rice dough, shape it like a ball, apply some rice dust on your palm and flatten the dough- make sure its not too thick. Place a spoon of mixture of daal onto the flattened dough and fold it as shown in the picture. Last step is to cook the stuffed dough discs in steam. For that, boil less-than-half pan of water in a saucepan, place steal strainer over it, place all the stuffed dough discs one by one on top of it and cover the strainer with a lid. Steam on medium heat for 12-13 minutes. TADA! Farey is ready. Take them out, cool them and serve with green chutney. You may fry them before serving if you like.
STEP BY STEP RECIPE WITH PHOTOS:-
1. Soak Urad daal and chana daal for 3 hours. Drain water from soaked daals and coarsely grind them by adding ginger, garlic, green chillies, cumin seed, cumin powder, coriander leaves, hing and salt to taste. Mixture for stuffing is ready.
2. Knead soft dough of rice flour by adding milk or water and a little bit of salt. Rest it for 20 mins.
3. Take a small portion from rice dough, apply some rice dust on your palm and flatten the dough – make sure its not too thick. Place a spoon of daal mixture onto it and fold in a shape as shown in the picture below. Repeat the process with all of the remaining mixture.
4. Boil less than half pan of water in a saucepan, place steal strainer over the pan, place all farey one by one over it and cover the strainer with a lid. Steam on medium heat for 12-13 minutes.
5. Cool them and serve with green chutney or you may slice them and fry. For frying heat 1 tablespoon oil or ghee in a pan , add cumin seeds, green chilly, turmeric powder, curry leaves and salt. Fry them on medium flame till they turn light golden color from both sides.
Sharing is Caring:
- Rest rice dough for 20 mins before making dumplings.
- You may opt chutney of your choice.
- Keep checking the level of water while steaming the farey. It should not get fully evaporated. If so, add water to maintain enough steam.