“Khichdis” have always been my favorite. We love them so much that we have introduced them in our weekly menu. We like to it with raita, it just adds to the taste so much. So here comes vrat wali khichdi or Sabudana (tapioca pearls) khichdi also known as Saga khichdi. It is an instant energy booster during fasts. The best part of this khichdi is it’s taste and the flavor which comes from roasted peanut and sauteed potatoes. Once again this is not just for fasting people, non-fast keepers can equally relish this meal.
Health perk: Sabudana (TAPIOCA PEARL) loaded with good quality starch and carbohydrates
Cuisine: Indian Course: Falahari/Navratrifood Preparation time : 4 hrs Cook time:15 min
INGREDIENTS FOR 3-4 SERVINGS
Below are the required quantities for all the ingredients for 3-4 servings :-
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds and powder
- 2 cup or 200 gm sabudana (soaked)
- 3 medium size potatoes (boiled)
- 1 cup peanut, roasted
- 2-3 chopped green chillies
- Sendha namak (Rock salt), to taste
- Black pepper, to sprinkle
- 3-4 strands coriander leaves, finely chopped
RECIPE IN A NUTSHELL WITH INITIAL PREPARATION:
Preparation: Soak the sabudana in water for 4-5 hours at least or overnight for smoothness in pearl. Drain and wash it nicely. Keep aside in the sieve (so that water leaves it completely). Boil the potatoes and cut them in cubic shape and set aside. Take a pan, add 1/2 spoon oil and roast 1 cup peanut for 5 mins or till they turn brown in color. Rest it for cooling and crush coarsely or grind it.
Khichdi recipe: Heat 2 tsp of ghee or oil in any pan or kadai over medium flame, add curry leaves, cumin seeds, chopped green chilly saute them for 2 mins. Add boiled cubic potatoes with a spoon of rock salt to the pan. Stir fry until the potatoes become light brown in color. This might take 15 mins. Add roasted coarsed peanut and soaked & drained tapioca pearls or sabudana to the potatoes. If you feel it needs more salt, you may add at this stage alongwith blackpepper and cumin powder. Mix all ingredient very well and stir for another 10 mins. Garnish with fresh cilantro. Your delicious Khichdi is ready to serve.
STEP BY STEP RECIPE WITH PHOTOS:-
- Put a heavy bottom pan on medium flame, pour a spoon of ghee – wait till it melts. Add curry leaves, cumin seeds, chopped green chilly saute them for 2 mins.
- Add boiled cubic potatoes with a spoon of rock salt. Stir fry until the potatoes become light brown in color. This might take 15 mins.
- Add previously crushed peanut along with soaked and drained tapioca pearls or sabudana to the potatoes.
- Sprinkle some black pepper and cumin powder. If you feel it needs more salt, you may add at this stage. Mix all ingredient very well. Stir for another 10 mins.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve sabudana khichdi hot.
Happy Khichdi 🙂
Sharing is caring :-
- Don’t over crush peanut to powder form, let them remain a little coarse.
- Good quality pan is recommended to prevent sabudana sticking at the bottom.
- Keep stirring to prevent the mixture from sticking at the bottom.
- Sendha namak or rock salt is specially used in making vrat food. You may use regular salt if you are not fasting.